The Congregation of the Companions of the Holy Saviour was founded in 1891 at the Church of the Evangelists, Philadelphia, by a group of priests of the Episcopal Church who desired to live under a rule of celibacy and sought to strengthen their priestly lives through a common discipline of devotion and study. Their aim was to encourage the faithful to participate more fully in the sacramental and liturgical life of the Church.

CSSS stands for the Latin name of the Congregation: Congregatio Sociorum Sancti Salvatoris, which is literally translated as “Congregation of the Companions of the Holy Saviour” and is the source of the other name by which the Congregation is known, The Salvatorians. The CSSS motto is Ut essent cum illo, “That we may be with him.”

As a Christian community for men, the Companions are a witness to the celibate life within the Anglican Communion. Companions and Associates, who may be ordained men or lay men or women, engage in a variety of ministries including parochial work, chaplaincy, social services, and spiritual direction. Currently 3 Companions and 14 Associates live in Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Wisconsin, Washington, New Mexico, and abroad. Local conferences gather monthly for prayer and the Recollection of the Rule. Companions, and Associates who are able, attend the annual General Chapter and Retreat.

Advertisements