The Congregation of the Companions of the Holy Saviour was founded in 1891 at the Church of the Evangelists, Philadelphia, by a group of priests of the Episcopal Church who desired to live under a rule of celibacy and sought to strengthen their priestly lives through a common discipline of devotion and study. Their aim, then as now, is to encourage the faithful to participate more fully in the sacramental and liturgical life of the Church.
The initials, CSSS, are formed from the Latin name for the Order, Congregatio Sociorum Sancti Salvatoris. The charism of the Order is Jesuit-Redemptorist. More recent documents of the Order use the “Savior” spelling in the name, but the original is “Saviour”.
Vowed members of the Order are called Companions, and must be priests, deacons, or candidates for Holy Orders who commit to vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. Associates, who may be men or women, commit to living a rule of life and to make Ember Day reports. Companions do not live in community. The head of the Order is referred to as the Father Master.